Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Great Food Stamp Saga

Ok. So.

Today is my first day off in 15 days. I am dead tired and so so cranky. What I REALLY wanted to spend today doing was navigating this food stamp thing. Certainly I didn't need to have a pj and couch date with old House reruns.

But I did the responsible thing. While I've been working like a dog the past 2 weeks I got a notice in the mail that I have been accepted for food stamps. Hot damn! Mind you, I was approved for $32 whole dollars a month. I'm not exactly sure in what world that will provide ANYONE with enough money for an entire month's worth of eating... maybe I just eat a lot? But still, ok, it something!

Except the letter I received didn't explain ANYTHING. I apparently need some sort of food stamp card to use at the grocery store? Ok, great, but TELL ME THAT. So I tried to sneak off on my breaks and call the assistance line but I was on hold for longer than my break. Finally, I got through and was informed that I needed to come into the regional office. Oh ok sure. I'll  get right on that.

(Funny side note: welfare office is not set up to be convenient for people who actually have jobs.... meaning I had to wait until I had a day off to be able to make their craptastic office hours)

So today? I actually got out of bed, put on pants and a bra, and ventured into the heart of the ghetto.

Some fun highlights:

  • I got onto the last bus on the journey. It was crowded, annoyingly so, and I fought my way to the back of the bus to not be as asshole and make room for people getting on an off. For a good 15 minutes I got to hear such lovely comments such as "what stinks? It smells like ass. Oh god, there is white girl on this bus" and the like.
  • Walking out of the center, I was accosted by a creepy toothless man. He was babbling and hard to understand, but I think it was something like this: "hey pretty white thing. You in need? I can give you some work, make you some money. You'd be my prize"
  • But the REALLY GOOD PART? I sat in the office, waiting to speak to someone about this card business, and when I finally was called, I was informed that "oh sorry, you came here for nothing... you didn't come into the office in time so we mailed  it to you" YOU MAILED IT TO ME!!? WHY DID YOU TELL ME I HAD TO COME INTO THE FREAKING OFFICE IF YOU CAN JUST MAIL THEM OUT!!?
I am SO ANNOYED.

3 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog today--good stuff.
    Stay crafty and don't take any guff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you found the food stamp office.
    I failed at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that getting food stamps sucked so much.


    To *really* economize on food, look to "ethnic" recipes; Indian food especially is really good at making nutritious, filling meals which cost next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete